Leaders are Born but Managers are Made. Leaders have an intangible characteristic that can’t be explained but the manager can train his or her skill by training.
Leaders have qualities that distinguish them from a manager. Managers are creative and stewards of functional tasks.
A manager is an individual charged with the responsibility of overseeing’ resources and processes.’
Managers are more creative than supervisors, in most instances, but they are also stewards of functional tasks. Their sole duty is to manage.
Manage budgets, people, major tasks and projects, and time.
All of which are functional tasks, tasks which we are all accustomed to performing in our personal lives on a daily basis.
A leader is ‘a person who rules, or guides or inspires others.’ A leader is someone others are willing to follow, almost without question.
They may not always make the right decision, but they are confident in the decisions that they make. They are not afraid to admit when they are wrong, and they know when to change direction when an inappropriate choice has been made.
For, even after a few mistakes, a true leader will not lose the confidence of his, or her, followers.
People seek out leaders unconsciously, and leaders step to the forefront almost instinctively. Leaders are recognized, not chosen.
Leaders have some extra qualities that distinguish the leader from the manager.
Actually, the leaders are the origin of the idea and their task is conceptual.
The qualities of a leader are given below:
- Leaders can influence people easily.
- Leaders can motivate his or her follower very well.
- Leaders are free and frank with his or her subordinates.
- The self-confidence power of the leader is very high.
- Leaders are very cooperative with his or her followers.
- Leaders are the good decision maker for his or her organization.
Related: Management is Universal
Comparison between the characteristics of leader and manager:
- Leaders are the main developers of an idea but managers are the maintainer of that idea that can make the idea come true.
- Leader’s works with their followers but managers focus on both the system and structure of the organization.
- Leaders do the conceptual activities of the organization but managers are implementing that concept.
- Leaders can read his or her followers’ mind very deeply but managers stand at a large distance from their subordinates that why he or she cannot read the subordinates mind as leaders.
There is a saying that goes something like this “Talent can do effortlessly what is difficult for the normal person and genius can do effortlessly what is difficult for talent.”The issue is more of aligning in an area where the strength lies or even knowing where exactly we can excel.
The issue is more of aligning in an area where the strength lies or even knowing where exactly we can excel.
The person who has found his vocation in life is a blessed human being. Let him ask for no other blessedness. There are three things extremely hard: steel, a diamond and to know oneself.
So we can understand that managers are developing his or her skill by training but leaders have some extra qualities which he or she gains by naturally
Leader and manager are different; a leader may a manager but a manager must have the leadership qualities.
From the above discussion, we are ensuring that leaders have something within that the others just don’t have.
It is an intangible characteristic that can’t be explained, but when we see it, we will recognize it. On the other hand, a manager can train his or her skill by training.
So it is sure that leaders are born but managers are made.